Centre d'Estudis Demogrāfics
in collaboration with
Minnesota Population Center
METADATA :: Sample characteristics ::
The 1970 Census of the Federal Republic Germany
Federal Statistical Office (Statistisches Bundesamt)
Total population entitled to reside in households
De jure or de facto
May 27, 1970
Field work period
The enumerators (interviewers) distributed the questionnaires to all households until 23 May and collected the completed questionnaires until 6 June.
Enumeration forms used
2 questionnaires: (f1) population census questionnaire: 90% of the population received a questionnaire comprising 18 questions, the remaining 10% received a questionnaire containing 39 questions; (f2) local unit questionnaire.
Type of field work
Microdata sample characteristics
Sample microdata source
Federal Statistical Office
A randomized 50% sub-sample was drawn from the 10% sample of the factually anonymous Scientific-Use-File (SUF) by using the ending numbers method. This yields the Public Use File, which is 5% sample of the total 1970 FRG population. NOTE: Persons are not organized into households.
Sample fraction (private households)
Sample fraction (institutional households)
Sample size (person records)
Sample size (private households)
Sample size (institutional households)
Self-weighting (expansion factor=20)
A dwelling, in terms of a survey unit, is defined as a self-contained set of rooms intended for living purposes which enable persons to keep their own household.
A household consists of all persons who live in the same dwelling and have a common housekeeping budget. Also. persons living and keeping house alone as well as lodgers are counted as households.
Persons in institutions, homes or the like are covered if they live there, are registered at that address with the police or relevant authorities and, fully or partly, make use of communal catering arrangements or of any joint facilities.
Copyright © Centre d'Estudis Demogrāfics 2007
Universitat Autōnoma de Barcelona
(08193) Bellaterra - Spain